Listen to this article!
Kaspersky researchers found a malicious Trojan-Dropper module in the CamScanner App. It was found to show intrusive ads and sign up users for paid subscriptions without their intent.
CamScanner had over 100 million downloads before it was removed.
Kaspersky researchers have said the CamScanner application has long been a clean, legitimate app. The app allowed in-app purchases and also displayed monetised ads. However, the app was discovered to be equipped with an ad library containing malicious module with the latest releases of CamScanner.
The module was earlier found in some preinstalled applications on Chinese smartphones and was called Trojan-Dropper. AndroidOS.Necro.n.
Kaspersky states that the module can extract from an encrypted file that is included in the app’s resources and run another malicious module. The dropped malware is a Trojan that downloads more malicious modules, as the name indicates.
One example of this is that a Trojan-Dropper app can display intrusive ads and also subscribe to paid subscriptions.
Following the Kaspersky report to Google about the malicious module, the Google Play Store has deleted the CamScanner application.
The report also states that the app developers have removed malicious code with the latest update. However, versions can be different for various devices, and some may still contain malware.
The malicious module seems to have affected only the Android App as of now. The iOS app is okay to download and use.
In a recent tweet, CamScanner acknowledged this issue and claimed they have removed the malicious code. The app, however, still remains unavailable on the Google Play Store.
Update: Camscanner Android App is now available to download
Version number 5.12.5 has been added to the new app. Camscanner also tweeted about it saying the app is back on the Play Store.
- Anirudh is the Editor in Chief and Main Writer at Clickdotme. He does not like describing himself in the third-person and had a hard time coming up with these two sentences!
- Apple2019.09.11Apple Event 2019: iPhone 11 Pro, Apple Arcade, iPad, Watch 2019 Announced, Price & Availability
- Apple2019.09.10Apple Downplays Google Report As ‘Misleading’
- Apple2019.09.09Apple iPhone 11 Event: How To Watch, Start Time, Livestream Options, What To Expect
- Android2019.09.07Update: CamScanner Android App Is Back On The Google Play Store