Listen to this article!
Google security researchers have discovered several malicious websites, which if they visited, would effortlessly hack an iPhone of the victim by exploiting several earlier unrevealed software defects.
Project Zero by Google, which consists of a team of security analysts working to identify the 0-day vulnerabilities, claims that unsuspecting victims visited these sites thousands of times per week.
Ian Beer, a Project Zero safety researcher, says that a hacking site is sufficient to exploit the server and, if successful, to “install a monitoring implant.” These sites have been hacking iPhones for at least two years.
Project Zero researchers reported that five distinct exploit chains with 12 separate security vulnerabilities, including Safari, iPhone’s built-in web browser, were identified during this phase.
Ian Beer clarified that five distinct attack chains enabled an intruder to access the device root, allowing attackers to obtain access to the complete spectrum of features that usually do not allow the user to access the device.
It also implies that an attacker could install malicious applications without letting the iPhone owner know and spy on them to steal information. According to the Threat Analysis Group (TAG) of Google, these vulnerabilities were used to steal photos and messages from users as well as to track their immediate location and access bank details and passwords stored on their devices.
The assessment also showed that these failures impact iOS 10 to the present iOS 12 version of the software.
The study on these vulnerabilities was published in February, then Apple released a fix for iPhone 5s, iPad Air and later on with iOS 12.1.4.
Apple is yet to respond to these developments.
- Anirudh is the Editor in Chief and Main Writer at Clickdotme. He does not like describing himself in the third-person and had a hard time coming up with these two sentences!
- How To2019.10.29How To DM On Instagram From A PC & Mac
- Apple2019.09.11Apple Event 2019: iPhone 11 Pro, Apple Arcade, iPad, Watch 2019 Announced, Price & Availability
- Apple2019.09.10Apple Downplays Google Report As ‘Misleading’
- Apple2019.09.09Apple iPhone 11 Event: How To Watch, Start Time, Livestream Options, What To Expect