Data Shows iPhone Loyalty Declining In Favor Of Samsung


Warning: preg_match() expects parameter 2 to be string, array given in /home/clickdot/public_html/wp-includes/class-wp-block-parser.php on line 417

Warning: strlen() expects parameter 1 to be string, array given in /home/clickdot/public_html/wp-includes/class-wp-block-parser.php on line 489
Listen to this article!
Voiced by Amazon Polly

Samsung’s eating into the Apple pie!

Long-time Apple enthusiasts finally seem to be moving away from the iPhone fascination: fewer people exchange the recent models for their ageing iPhones compared to last year.

According to information CNET acquired from the BankMyCell phone swap service, iPhone retention this year is 15.2 per cent down from March 2018.

The statistics include the recent upgrade cycle and considers all BankMyCell phone-swaps done since October 2018.

Samsung seems to benefit the most from Apple’s loyalty decline.

The study notes that while 26% of users exchanged their iPhone X for a different brand, only 7.7% of Galaxy S9 users switched to Apple, with the remainder 92.3% adhering to Android. Furthermore, 18% of iPhone trade-ins in June were for Samsung phones.

Backed by information from other companies, BankMyCell stated that iPhone loyalty has achieved its lowest point since 2011 and is 73% compared to an all-time high of 92% in 2017.

More To The Story

With this information, there are several things worth noting. For one thing, the sample size is comparatively tiny and almost wholly derives from customers using the particular BankMyCell service.

Besides, other data from companies such as CIRP have indicated that iOS loyalty continues to reach new highs. In January, CIRP said iOS loyalty was 91%. (9to5mac)

Leading research and advisory companies, Kantar and Gartner also published new reports on the smartphone sector today. According to Kantar, iPhones made up for 36 per cent of phone sales in the United States during the Q2 of 2019, down 2.4 per cent year-over-year.

Data Shows iPhone Loyalty Declining In Favor Of Samsung
Photo by Taylor Grote on Unsplash

Today’s data from Gartner indicates that worldwide mobile phone shipment will decrease by 3.8 per cent over 2019. Also, the company states that the life span of the device will improve as upgrade rates slow down:

“If mobile phones don’t provide significant new utility, efficiency or experiences, users won’t upgrade them, and will consequently increase these devices’ life spans,” said Ranjit Atwal, research director at Gartner.

The full Gartner report can be found here.

Last week, we also discussed how iPhone sales are declining in India. Read our coverage below.


Anirudh Muley
Anirudh Muley
Anirudh is the Editor in Chief and Main Writer at Clickdotme. He does not like describing himself in the third-person and had a hard time coming up with these two sentences!

You may also like...

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: