Listen to this article!
Google added a new feature to play, stop, or skip videos or music through a toolbar on its Chrome browser, though the feature is still quite buggy, as per The Verge, and is currently only available through a Canary development browser.
The sleek new feature is a button with a drop-down menu that lets users click to pause or play a video or audio without having to navigate between windows or tabs — a useful function for anyone listening to music via a browser or wanting to stop self-played videos pop up on random websites.
On Canary, navigate to the chrome://flags/page and find and click “Global Media Controls” to Enable the feature.
A play button will appear in the browser after restarting Canary;
As ZDNet stated, the feature does not work correctly at present and outcomes in a crash almost every time a user attempts to pause a video, even on YouTube.
This happened even when we at ClickDotMe tested this feature.
Currently, it’s working with websites like Vimeo, Apple and Spotify, said the Verge. But at present only one video appears to be recognized at a time, and its usefulness substantially reduces.
Unless advancement is seen with the Chromium bugs tracker, according to ZDNet it is uncertain when the feature may be launched, although it is probably popular because last year Google removed other muting features:
Google recently removed the ability to silence a tab by clicking on the “speaker” icon on tabs playing video or audio. By right-clicking on a tab, users still could mute tabs but clicking on the “speaker” icon has stopped working.
Over the previous few months, users have been asking Google to reactivate this option as it was the best way to pause audio from auto-playing tabs.
- Anirudh is the Editor in Chief and Main Writer at Clickdotme. He does not like describing himself in the third-person and had a hard time coming up with these two sentences!
- How To2019.10.29How To DM On Instagram From A PC & Mac
- Apple2019.09.11Apple Event 2019: iPhone 11 Pro, Apple Arcade, iPad, Watch 2019 Announced, Price & Availability
- Apple2019.09.10Apple Downplays Google Report As ‘Misleading’
- Apple2019.09.09Apple iPhone 11 Event: How To Watch, Start Time, Livestream Options, What To Expect