Listen to this article!
Some experts expressed concerns about how Google uses location data.
Google has formally implemented an iOS and Android feature, which deletes the location history of users automatically if they choose to. In May of this year, the technology giant announced the feature.
Users can decide on a time limit – three or 18 months – to be kept by the tech giant. Any information older then will be deleted on a continuing basis automatically.
Google said in a blog post just before its annual developer conference, I/O 2019, that the location’s history helps businesses give its users helpful suggestions.
The tech giant said that consumers may need easier controls to handle their location information.
“We work to keep your data private and secure, and we’ve heard your feedback that we need to provide simpler ways for you to manage or delete it,” Google wrote.
A survey conducted in April 2018 by Associated Press found that numerous Google services store location information on Android devices and iPhones even after they have chosen to set Google to protect privacy.
When Google Chief Data Officer Keith Enright announced the feature to a group of reporters in India on May 31, he reacted to the criticism for “protecting their information” through finding and changing those confidentiality measures.
“Privacy by default means that a product should operate in a manner consistent with the user’s expectations. It’s important to understand that many Google services and many internet services require the processing of some set of data to do the things users expect them to do…”
“As we think about retention and deletion, we try to understand users’ expectation and then have features that are consistent with that expectation. Often times, that is not a zero retention by default,” he said.
- Anirudh is the Editor in Chief and Main Writer at Clickdotme. He does not like describing himself in the third-person and had a hard time coming up with these two sentences!
- Apple2019.09.11Apple Event 2019: iPhone 11 Pro, Apple Arcade, iPad, Watch 2019 Announced, Price & Availability
- Apple2019.09.10Apple Downplays Google Report As ‘Misleading’
- Apple2019.09.09Apple iPhone 11 Event: How To Watch, Start Time, Livestream Options, What To Expect
- Android2019.09.07Update: CamScanner Android App Is Back On The Google Play Store